[thelist] Offering contracts: Opinions on Etiquette?

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Sat Nov 4 12:28:52 CST 2000

> You've definitely made your point about security. I'm with you there.
> However, I do think, as someone else suggested that a sample wouldn't be out
> of line. Maybe even that sample is printed out... one page of code? Or, is
> that not enough of a crumb to go on?

Well, at that point, you might as well go back to the
do-this-task-and-i'll-check-how-you-code deal. If it's just a sample, it's
pretty much a test which gives the interviewee all the time in the world to
clean up... and then wouldn't be a representative sample of how this guy/gal
codes. If someone prints out a page of code that wasn't looked over a million
times for performance, heavily commented, and easily readable, I would be
hugely surprised. At this point, I think you're better off giving the person a
task and a time limit and go from there...

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com