[thelist] Mac caching problem?

Julia Frizzell Julia_Frizzell at Brown.edu
Mon Nov 6 07:52:15 CST 2000

At 6:44 PM +1300 11/4/00, Miraz Jordan wrote:
>I've pondered long on who to ask about an annoying problem I have
>when updating my website and after checking the FAQ have decided
>evolt would be a good place.
>
>I use a Mac with OS 9.0.4 to develop pages and then upload them
>using Interarchy ftp software to my server. I often end up making
>many small changes consecutively and reuploading maybe half a dozen
>times before I'm satisfied. So far so good.
>
>The problem comes when I try to check the newly uploaded page - with
>Internet Explorer 5, Netscape Communicator 4.74 and even Wannabe,
>text-only browser, the web browser often fails to show the new
>version of the page. Even Refresh / Reload and Super Reload don't
>work.
>
>Then I open up iCab and that also shows the old version, until I hit
>Reload, then the new version shows. Then I can also go back and
>reload into MIE etc and get the new version of the page.
>
>Naturally I have done things like set the cache to 0Mb, check page
>each time etc. This doesn't help.
>
>I'm on a cable modem with fixed IP address.
>
>I don't know whether the problem lies with my machine, my cable
>connection, my ISP or the server where the site is hosted.
>
>Does this problem afflict others? Any suggestions on how / where to
>begin the troubleshooting?

What webserver software are you using? Here, with WebStar, there is
often a caching problem with the webserver, and I have to go flush
the cache for the new pages to be served. The cache will
automatically flush at a certain point, but it's not always soon
enough for our web designers. :)

--
Julia Frizzell
julia_frizzell at brown.edu