[thelist] Problems with deleted records in Access

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Tue Nov 7 07:29:18 CST 2000

Hi all,

I'm using an Access database for a site (with CF, not that it matters), and
noticed something funny happen when I deleted some records in a table.

Deleting the records was fine, but when a new record was added later one or
two of the deleted records reappeared.  I deleted them again, but the
reappeared again when more records were added.

This freaked me out - if it happens when the site is "live" it could be a
real disaster.

Is this a known problem with Access?  Obviously it is a problem with the
table index getting corrupt, but does anyone know what might have caused
that to happen?

One solution I might use is to never delete records, and just use a
"deleted" boolean field - but this is a pain, complicates every query on
the site, and would waste space.  Perhaps a "deleted" field is a good way
to design databases regardless - i'm not sure.

Any insight at all appreciated.

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz