[thelist] CSS Border Problem

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Wed Nov 8 09:34:08 CST 2000

Hi all y'all-

I have a style in my page as shown below:

  #searchBox {
  	position: absolute;
  	top: 5px;
  	left: 5px;
  	width: 300px;
  	height: 100px;
  	clip: rect(0px 300px 100px 0px);
  	background-color: #ffffcc;
  	layer-background-color: #ffffcc;
  	visiblity: visible;
  	border: 1px solid #000000;
  	z-index: 1;
  	display : block;
  	overflow : hidden;
  }
</STYLE>

When I use this div:

In IE the border completely surrounds the div, but in NS, the border flows
with the content, moving up if the content does not fill the div, and
moving below the clipping rectangle if the content overflows the div. Do
any of you have any suggestions as to how I can make NS support this border
properly? Or am I going to have to end up using nested tables ala Zeldman
to make these look proper (which of course incurs its own problems as NS
does not support the height attribute on the table tag).

Thanks

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"