[thelist] BG images in cells in NN

Adam Squier asquier at exobox.com
Fri Nov 10 17:24:48 CST 2000

> > After much re-doing I finally got them all to work. It
> ended up being the
> > file name of the gif that was doing it (as far as I could
> tell -- that's
> > what worked). In my testing I wasn't able figure out what
> the offending
> > names were.
>
> that is truly wacky. If you are able to pin it down let us know.
> I can confirm having had problems using _images with transparency_ as
> table backgrounds before (in netscape).
> So that's something to check for.

I _was_ using transparent GIFs as the background. Perhaps that's why I was
having difficulties.

> When testing this kind of thing, also bear in mind that in Netscape if
> something breaks -like a table background- earlier on in a page, other
> table backgrounds (that would otherwise be ok) may also be
> broken. This
> is kind of voodoo - I can reproduce this behaviour with radio
> background
> colors for example - but it's something I've had trouble with
> off and on
> with other things.

I could substitute other GIFs that were working elsewhere and they'd display
properly. Some were working at the top of the page, others at the bottom,
but there were still some sticklers that didn't want to cooperate.

The lessson is to test the most reduced
> case - single
> out exactly what you are testing and put that and that only
> on a page.
>
> Sorry this is a little fluffy :)
>
> > Are there certain names (or characters) that one shouldn't use when
> > assigning background images to cells in Netscape?
>
> I'm sticking my neck out and saying no, provided they are valid
> filenames, it should make no difference.
>
> Sam

And in the end, just changing the file name did the trick. As far as I know
the file names were OK. Things like bottombg_left_03.gif and such. Needless
to say, it was a frustrating day. But it's working now. Thanks for your
insight.

--Adam