[thelist] SSI problem!

Katherine Spice k.spice at acu.ac.uk
Mon Nov 13 10:55:26 CST 2000

> If you have the option to configure your own server parse files, you can
> change it with an .htaccess file.

I always forget that! Good call. (The joy of having root access to my
own server ;-)

> Options Includes
> AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .shtml
>
> Do note: you can change the .shtml to .html and .htm. e.g.
>
> AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html .htm

I've always done it:

Options +Includes
AddHandler server-parsed .html
AddType text/html .html

not too sure what the difference is!

> Do note: you can change the .shtml to .html and .htm. e.g.
>
> AddType text/x-server-parsed-html .html .htm
>
> Some will say this is too much of a load on the server. With my testing,
> I've found that for most sites this extra load is negligible.

it's not a problem if all (or nearly all) your pages include SSI's, but
the idea of .shtml is so that if only one or two need to be passed,
normal pages aren't + resources aren't wasted.  where you're using it
for navigation, presumably it's on every page so parsing all .html files
is necessary.