[thelist] Re: new web magazine - sitecheck please

Eric Benvenue-Jennings eric at rapid13.org
Mon Nov 13 21:40:49 CST 2000

> From: "Jeremy Brothers" <jeremy_brothers at hotmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:19:17 EST
> Subject: [thelist] new web magazine - sitecheck please
>
> i was hoping some kind folks might have
> a chance to look at a site i've worked on
> and provide feedback.
>
> it's http://www.killingthebuddha.com

IE 5.0 Mac

I found the sidebar text to have too little contrast from the background color -
on the home page a little but moreso on subsequent pages - therefore somewhat
difficult to read.

I was confused by the rollover effects which turned out not to be links. I felt
confounded.

On my 800 x 600 browser window everything felt a bit cramped. This was
compounded by the excess empty space surrounding the top bar.

The word "submit" in the center of the top bar on several pages seems odd - as
if there's a script or an SSI insert not working - is it really supposed to read
that way? If so, I don't get it. Especially because a few pages had brief pithy
sayings that worked well in a "pull quote" kind of way. The word submit sort of
invites one to click but it's not a link.

The graphics and main text areas don't align at the top like I would expect - I
found that disconcerting.

On the pages where you decided not to include a photograph on the left I was
disappointed - the photographs add some liveliness and warmth to an otherwise
cool and impersonal color scheme.

In spite of all these shortcomings I liked it overall. I think it's a very nice
concept and I love the simplicity but I feel that it would benefit greatly by
some tightening up of the elements and a little more attention paid to color,
specifically the lack of contrast in the side boxes.

EBJ