[thelist] help with actionscript...

John Corry webshot at neoncowboy.com
Tue Nov 14 16:51:04 CST 2000

Hi all (especially John D)

I'm having trouble with an actionscript in FLash 5. If I can get it to work,
ALL of my problems with the project I'm currently trying to finish will be
solved (at long last).

I have 5 pages in my site. They all use the same Flash movie as a navigation
tool. Each page has a unique bgcolor. I have a movie clip in my movie that
should advance to labeled frames depending upon the page URL. Below is the
script I'm using...it doesn't actually make the movie clip named 'bg color'
go to the frames as labeled. Why? I'm using the substring function to take
away everything in the URL before the file name...

thanks for any help.
john

<the faulty script>
if (substring ((_url), 40, 50) eq "index.html") {
    tellTarget ("bg color") {
            gotoAndStop ("home");
                }}
 else if (substring((_url), 40, 51) eq "vision.html") {
     tellTarget ("bg color") {
            gotoAndStop ("vison");
                }}
 else if (substring((_url), 40, 55) eq "challenges.html")
  {    tellTarget ("bg color") {
          gotoAndStop
("challenges");
              }}
 else if (substring((_url), 40, 54) eq "solutions.html")
  {    tellTarget ("bg color") {
          gotoAndStop ("challenges");
              }}
 else if (substring((_url), 40, 52) eq "contact.html") {
   tellTarget ("bg color") {
           gotoAndStop ("challenges");
              }
  ;}