nav6 resource consumption (was RE: [thelist] Netscape6 awarded knob of the week)

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Wed Nov 15 17:56:46 CST 2000

At 09:19 15/11/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>I don't blame this on Netscape really. Most of the IE 5.5 libraries are
>loaded up when you first turn on your computer - it's all part of the
>Windows integration feature that IE 4 started. Really when you click IE
>5.5, you're just starting up the graphical interface to libraries which
>have already been running - that's why it's so quick.

i also notice the browser consumes 21MB of memory immediately after startup
(ie. without anything in cache).  that makes it a hog, by any standards.

but i do wonder whether IE is a hog also. because much of IEs brains are
hidden in other processes, it's not possible to put a figure on its memory
usage.

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz