[thelist] Paragraphs within lists

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 16 21:16:59 CST 2000

> From: rudy <Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca>
>
> i dunno what's up with you other folks, a paragraph is a *paragraph* and

ugh... you're killing me...

> not a spacer -- *of course* <p>'s can appear inside a list item or
> blockquote, in fact they *should*

i was talking about items that aren't multi-paragraphs long... i also
said that there's nothing in the spec to say you shouldn't do it, and
there's nothing (that i can find) to say you should...

> it should be second nature to produce code like this --
>
>   <ul>
>   </ul>
>
> and if it's not, get a new editor   [grin]

now that seems silly to me... 'foo' isn't a paragraph... it's a list
item... what you're saying is that it is both a paragraph and a list
item, which, IMO, it really isn't... but if it were lots of text (as in a
couple paragraphs), then, yes, that would make sense...

but then again, i've always felt that if i'm putting that much text in a
list element, i must not have very good text or the list element isn't
the right tag to use...

> another advantage is, those </p>'s give the list items the nice spacing
> that i've seen people try to mimic with two <br>'s

well, if all you want is spacing, then you're talking about
presentation... heh (gotcha)... so, a <br> or two is acceptable
instead of a <p>... as is the use of CSS, which might be preferred
under ideal circumstances...

> because of the problems with css inheritance -- and <td>'s can be assigned
> separate styles anyway

now, see, there i *will* use <p>s... the <td> has no real structural
meaning since it's been universally usurped for layout purposes... if
you're using it for layout, you're *technically* not using it for
structure, and so the <p> is necessary to give the text structure...

funny how we've all got the same idea but on two opposite sides...