[thelist] Dropdowns - good or bad?

Erika Meyer meyer at up.edu
Tue Nov 21 12:59:08 CST 2000

>they are very bad navigation elements and should not be
>used as such

I'm curious as to the reasons (other than that someone might have
javascript off... though that's probably reason enough...)

Seems to me like if they're well done, experienced users will get the
hang of them quickly...(the ones w/o a go, which is yet another
step....)

OTOH, I've noticed that as a user I tend to go for
underlined-&-bright before I'll mess with a drop down... seems to
take an extra brain step to think about using a drop down to navigate.

Anyway, much as I might love to hate Jakob, I'd probably prefer a
Jakob-loving boss to a flaming-piranha-hit-counter-loving boss.

At least if your boss is 'into' Jakob, you have all the design rules
for your job available on one handy website.

Erika