[thelist] screen resolution sniffing

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 21 17:58:34 CST 2000

> From: "Ron Jourard" <ronjourard at home.com>
>
> I am building a 600 x 800 site that's also viewable at larger screen
> resolutions.

should i waste my time asking why you are targetting 800x600 as
your minimum resolution?  client demand?  whimsy?  based on
user data?  are you aware all the things you may sacrifice?

> Any opinions on javacript detecting whether visitors have their
> resolution set at 480 x 640 and directing them to a smaller site? Any
> comments on things to watch out for in implementation etc.?

i think sites like CNN do it right... make all content available in the
first 600 and have the remaining 150px (or so) off-screen on the
right... that way, while users may get annoyed, they at least won't
be disregarded...

and you should have a method to allow non-JS browsers to
manually get to the smaller size... that's assuming it's worth it to
build another version... personally (and from experience), it seems
easier to build a liquid site that compresses to 640x480....

some articles that may be useful (they have some decent links,
too):

640 x 480 Isn't Dead Just Yet
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=275

Real-World Browser Size Stats, Part I