[thelist] digital camera shopping

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 22 15:55:26 CST 2000

> From: "M. Hannan" <desmoljones at hotmail.com>
>
> Beware the sub-200's...or at least expect to get what you pay for.  The
> 640x480 crapameras are a shoe-in to disappoint.  If you can squeeze the
[...]
> Features and format are more important than brand name.  Standard smart
> cards are best, tiff/jpeg are better than proprietary format (don't get
> anything that's not a standard 4:3 ratio either, those are just plain
> weird).  USB is a plus.  That being said I'm partial to Olympus.

i'll second all this... after much research (you may remember me
commenting on this in the past) for a $300-ish camera for my
brother to take overseas (to use with that oft-cited text-based CMS
i made), i ended up recommending the Olympus D340 R... i think
there is a newer model out...

good color, clarity, brightness, etc... the software to get it to your
PC can be wonky, and his wasn't y2k-friendly, but he downloaded
a patch... he didn't want USB, either, but i think they have USB
now...

anyway, you can see sample images at http://roselli.org/tour/
(recently he posted a good, odd, set at
http://roselli.org/tour/entry.asp?articleID=1000114&folder=11_2000,
all taken with that camera and posted after run through a droplet i
gave him)...

> Digital cameras are great, but don't pull a pic off your your 3.3
> megagooglepixel camera onto your PIIII/6trillion and upload it to your site
> via your DSL connection then tell all your friends stuck in 56k land to
> "look at this"....chances are that a year-and-a-half later they'll see
[...]

that web photo gallery option in Photoshop 5 is a great 5-second
way to post them hi-res pics without them being fat files... you may
not like the HTML (i don't), but who cares if it's among friends...?