[thelist] Font size in CSS

George Dillon george.dillon at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Nov 25 16:21:19 CST 2000

> Ok, maybe I was mistaken but I thought that when you specified font sizes
> in px using CSS that the font size would be consistent ...
> Have a look at:
> http://www.bayou.com/
> font size is much smaller in Netscape than in IE.

Jamie

I had a look and at first could see no difference (IE5.5, NN4.7, Win98).

Do you have your font sizes set differently in the different browsers?  Try
"View" > "Decrease Font" (and then Reload) in NN.

Have you checked your code throughly?  NN might not be happy about this:

<FONT FACE='Arial , Helvetica' SIZE=-2 COLOR=000000>

HTH

George

<tip type="CSS">

All browsers have problems with CSS.  Netscape 4.x in particular can catch
you out by losing inheritance within tables and forms and its tendency to be
totally unforgiving of any errors in your code.  (IE spoils us when we make
coding errors by making good guesses at our intentions most of the time and
thus hiding our faults from us.)  To make sure that everything on your pages
is being controlled by your CSS as you intend, set your default font faces
and colors to choices that you would never normally use (e.g. a script font
in puce).  Then you'll immediately spot any problems with your (and other
people's) CSS.

</tip>