[thelist] Framing offsite content

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Sun Nov 26 09:01:27 CST 2000

> I'm meeting Monday with some clients who are interested in a portal
> and I need ammunition on the ethical and legal problems inherent in
> framing other people's content on their site.  I know there are some
> good links on this out there, but preliminary searching isn't turning
them up.

hi jack

no?  perhaps you might want to switch search engines  ;o)

see tip on search engines (below)

about your question, you'll want to read up on two cases -- Washington Post
v Total News, and Futuredontics v Applied Anagramic

  Can you frame another site's content?
  http://www.builder.com/Business/Law/ss14.html

  Thinking About Linking
  http://www.llrx.com/features/weblink1.htm

  TRADEMARK ISSUES IN CYBERSPACE: The Brave New Frontier
  http://www.fenwick.com/pub/trademark_issues_in_cyberspace.htm#Linking and
Framing

  Online Display Rights
  http://www.allrise.com/hardcore/displayrights-text.html

and if you are concerned about your own site being framed, see

  Breaking out of frames
  http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=249

good luck with those clients, and don't be late for your meeting -- your
mailer says it's october 8 1999  ;o)

<tip type="search engines">

if you are doing research and want comprehensive results --
   google (http://www.google.com/)
   raging (http://ragingsearch.altavista.com/)

if you know the page is out there and just can't remember the url, or if
you're interested in getting the most likely result --
  ixquick (http://www.ixquick.com/)

</tip>

rudy
r937.com