[thelist] Who's more stupid?

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Sun Nov 26 19:52:41 CST 2000

frank,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: Frank
:
: When I asked to clarify whether he was building a
: product based on ours, to resell to other customers,
: he essentially (and casually) said yes. (WTF was he
: thinking?!)
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i'm guessing he wasn't thinking.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: I know I can encrypt my code- can I decrypt it?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

yes, it can be decrypted.  it's a very simple algorithm used to encrypt the
templates.  it has to be fairly simple so that cf server doesn't take too
long to decrypt them when they're requested.  i wouldn't rely on it to
protect your intellectual property.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: And can I encrypt my database in such a way that it
: functions, and yet still not allow him, with his Admin
: God status to get the password?
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

there's not a whole lot you can do if he has physical access to the box with
the cf templates and database.  at best you can encrypt the cf templates
(making it harder for him as he'll need to decrypt all of them to use them)
and encrypt the data as it goes into the database.  however, that won't keep
your decryption scheme for converting the encrypted data for display on the
site nor will it protect your database architecture which he's obviously
using as a learning tool.

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: I don't know who'se more stupid: Me for trusting in
: a business situation, or him for outright telling me
: that he's screwing me over.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

far and away i'd say he's the stupid one in this situation.  i just can't
believe he actually called you and admitted that he was stealing your
intellectual property.  that's incredible.

i would take your hosting business elsewhere asap.  there are plenty of
other hosts that are willing to do what they do best, host, and leave you to
do what you do best, provide application development.

good luck,

.jeff
np:  Tag's Trance Trip - http://205.188.245.131:8016

name://jeff.howden