[thelist] New domain names + [OT] Networking

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 27 15:06:26 CST 2000

> From: "kev.skindrill" <kjs at ratking.co.uk>
>
>             Secondly, I seem to remember a thread about new domain names in
> the recent past which I cannot refer to due to the reason above. I received
> an e-mail from my hosting company today that may be of interest to you all,
> but apologies if this has already appeared.

actually, it's not new domain names, it's new top-level domains
(TLDs) they're talking about (too bad they said it incorrectly)... right
now we have .com, .net, .org, .edu, .gov, and .mil (unless i forgot
one)... country codes are ccTLDs, which is a bit different...

anyway, you can read up on the new TLDs at:
New .TLDs Announced
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=3806&catid=25

(read all the comments, they're as good as the article)

you can also read up on the latest ccTLD controversy at:
Mutiny at ICANN: countries consider the snub
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=3914&catid=1