[thelist] The Evils of the Splash Page

M. Hannan desmoljones at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 30 10:37:13 CST 2000

There are cases for a splash page.  preloading images, detecting
browser/settings/etc., and scaring away people from your "pictures of me
naked with light bulbs" page.  Or just cute little pictures of your
toaster/waffle iron/cat.

If they want a splash page, give them a splash page, along with the
statistic (which I don't know off hand) that you have x (15?) seconds to
capture someone's interest before they hit the back button (don't tell them
about back button disabling *g*).  If you've got to make one, make one, make
it light and skippable.

m@