rates (was: RE: [thelist] (no subject))

Frank framar at interlog.com
Thu Nov 30 11:02:55 CST 2000

On 11/30/00 at 11:16 AM, Joshua OIson <joshua at alphashop.net> wrote:

> Er, good tip, but I'd think the &nbsp; should be
> replaced with some single pixel images. The &nbsp;
> forces a line height to the first row, perhaps making
> some whitespace at the top of the table.

... or a period with styleseet setting the font-size at 1px and colour to the
colour of the cell. Whenever possible, I try to avoid single pixel gifs. Most
people forget that even though the gif itself weighs only a few bytes that what
slows the page down is the latency of the network and the rendering.

<tip type="HTML" author="Frank">

Your images are as optimized as can be but the page still loads slowly. Why? One
possibility: You have a bazillion images on your page. In order to retrieve each
image, the browser must make a new connection, chat back and forth before it has
it. Once it does, it must then render it. Often better to create an image map
with layer roll overs. You might save up to 50% of your connection costs.
Latency is the foe of a quick load.

</tip>

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com