[thelist] Netscape and CSS

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 4 02:08:07 CST 2000

> > Anyone have a workaround (other than just using IE)?
>
>	Here is one common fix:

>	Better still would be to plop this into a function that assures only
>Netscape 4 will do the reload (since it is unnecessary and annoying for
>users of other browsers):
>
>function fnReload() {
>    if (document.layers) {
>       window.location.reload() ;
>    }
>}

One huge, overwhelming problem with this solution: old Netscape 4's (around
4.05) consider the loading of a page also a resize event. Therefore in the
oldies you get a page that just keeps on reloading.

>layout problem only occurs with absolutely positioned content (but I could
>be wrong), and I think I recall that late versions of Communicator 4.x
>automatically do a reload on a resize (but I could be wrong about that,
>too -- I'm an IE intranet guy, primarily). Darn irritating problem, either
>way.

Absolutely positioned content makes everything far worse, but on the Mac all
styles disappear onResize, even your simple font colours. And the reload
onResize, no, Netscape doesn't do that automatically.

ppk