[thelist] Flash Based E-Commerce Package

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 4 11:30:21 CST 2000

> From: Seb Barre <sebastien at oven.com>
>
> If used sensibly and intelligently, Flash can produce a very elegant, easy
> to navigate site.  Of course, I guess that can be said of any technology. =)

you should see the site i'm building out of popsicle sticks...

anyway, part of my resistence to Flash is that regardless of how
nice and clean it is, it's still being viewed on the web -- that's the
medium...

and after the last few years, many people (my family, for example)
expect e-commerce sites (the big ones, you know, that usually
work) to generally work the same...

so, if a back button works on Amazon, will it work on the Flash
site?  what about the tab key?  or the Refresh button?  buttons that
depress when you click them, or display alt text if they are
images?  what about radio buttons and select menus?  they don't
look like the ones on Amazon, are they like the ones on ad
banners that screw you for clicking?

etc...

people have those expectations, and you can't expect to change
them all by youself, so you need to adapt to them... a good
developer will, regardless of the tools used, but it seems harder
with some than with others...