[thelist] wireless

Steve Cook sck at biljettpoolen.se
Tue Dec 5 01:41:29 CST 2000

I think this is pretty fair, though the categories are of course extremely
broad and cross over quite a bit. I mean "location based services" covers a
LOT of territory.

For myself, I think the most realistic business plans are where wireless is
included as a part of a holistic approach. Like a ticket company who deliver
wireless alerts, or a city tourism guide who have a full website with colour
photos and video tours of a city, but who allow one to choose that during a
certain time period, information of interest about a particular location
will be pushed to the mobile device. A location based tour guide in effect.

Even online games are spreading to use wireless devices to deepen the
illusion. I have a friend who is working on developing online games that
encompass everything from a graphical Mud (like Ultima Online or something),
to fax and telephone services to truly involve the user in the experience.
WAP services will be a part of their overall strategy.

Of course the current state of the art is very basic - it reminds me of when
I started developing for the web in fact :-) (even down to the "This sucks!
There's too few sites to make it worthwhile" arguments we are hearing now!)

My 2 öre!

.steve