[thelist] Site Check, & help needed.

Stef taz at hy.cgocable.ca
Wed Dec 6 01:27:14 CST 2000

         Hi guys ( & gals) Ok. It 2 am here, been having a go trying to
finish up (80% done) this little project by friday.
http://www.designtotus.com  ,it has a BIT of flash at the beginning
(customer request) but I tried not to abuse considering it s a small
e-commerce site.
         I have yet to finish putting the product specs & pictures but the
lay-out is pretty much . . . what makes my customer happy so far.
         This is my first <not amateur> site & ALL CRITICS & BASHING will
be taken. hehe :0). I have a few quirks I couldn t figure out to fix on the
second page of the site, when you follow the link magasin en ligne , my
table images are off one pixel in Explorer. Why ?! . I looked  & looked again.
Ok, second thing on that page . . . I would like to know a
mouseoverfunction to handle the image swap when the client passes over the
text link, the corresponding image just above is swapped. The image already
is a roll-over in Dream-Weaver.

ok. 2 tips, I owe.

<tip  type="web grammar"> Hey. I'm french, but. . . I just read this & I
thought I'd share it with you.
     Don't Use Apostrophes for Plurals. Use an apostrophe for a plural as a
last resort. If you buy ten
    CDs, isn't that better than buying ten CD's or ten C.D.'s? Use an
apostrophe only if the abbreviation
    requires periods, or in the case of single lower-case letters like x's
and y's, or if leaving it out would     be plainly confusing.
</tip>

<tip  type="site usability">
The organization of information within websites is vital to its overall
usefulness.
  In fact, a study by Morkes and Nielsen found that their experimental
website "scored 58% higher in measured usability when it was written
concisely, 47% higher when the text was scannable, and 27% higher when it
was written in an objective style instead of the promotional style used in
the control condition and many current web pages" (p. 1). That is, viewers
tend not to spend too much time on a particular page. Instead they usually
scan for information that is of direct interest to them. It is therefore
recommended that the text within websites be very succinct, with only one
key idea per paragraph, as well as use highlighted keyword or phrases and
bulleted lists (Morkes & Nielsen, 1997)
</tip>