[thelist] Opera browser- now with a (free) new version

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Wed Dec 6 18:49:41 CST 2000

Shoshannah,

> Opera ( http://www.operasoftware.com/ ) just come out with Opera 5, this
> time free (add supported. pay to get rid of them).

	Hmm. Interesting. I'm downloading it now to take a look...

> I wonder if this will actually increase there user base?

	Personally, I doubt it. My suspicion/contention has long been that
the two primary groups of Opera users are 1) developers who prize its
relatively strong standards compliance and use it to test their pages, and
2) Norwegians proud of a home-grown product. With the release of Netscape 6,
the anti-Microsoft crowd have an up-to-date alternative to IE, so I'd say
few of them are going to bother with yet another download (except for those
that also fall into categories one and two, above).
	That Opera has gone down the adware route suggests the degree of
trouble they are having promoting their product. Many people won't touch
adware for any reason (I'm selective, but generally very wary of adware),
which will also crimp its acceptance.
	IMO, the browser market is much like the political system in the
U.S. -- there is only room for two big titans, while the rest are
interesting diversions. Except that the browser world has become something
of a one-party state in the last couple of years. Oh, well, so much for
analogies... :)

James Aylard