[thelist] Netscape 6 loads page twice

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 7 09:15:43 CST 2000

> From: Rob Keniger <rob at bigbang.net.au>
[...]
> I should clarify - in the HTML 4.0 spec NAME was not defined and
> ID was defined (and was specifically indicated as the attribute to be
> used by scripting systems to reference objects). Pages specifying the HTML
> 4.0 DTD will fail validation.
>
> For HTML 4.01 you are partially correct. The RFC states:

according to the specs, i'm correct... especially since i'm not using
4.0, i'm using 4.01...

> > name = cdata [CI]
> > This attribute names the element so that it may be referred to from style
> > sheets or scripts. Note. This attribute has been included for backwards
> > compatibility. Applications should use the id attribute to identify elements.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/PR-html40-19990824/struct/objects.html#adef-name-
> IMG>
>
> The name attribute is on the way out.

mmm... deprecated... at least i purged all instances of <font> on
my site...

but my point is, why is it so hard to code to the specs?  i can do
it... and if HTML4.0 Strict is too hard to do given all the browser
wonkiness, then choose a spec that fits what you're doing, (and
use the appropriate DTD of course), like HTML4.01 Transitional...

you can still code HTML3.2 pages if you want... i don't want... but
you can...