[thelist] Netscape 6 loads page twice

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Thu Dec 7 17:55:34 CST 2000

>>  From: "John Scoot" <john.scoot at virgin.net>
>
>>  If everyone slavishly stuck to standards we would all still be looking at
>>  green screens and coding in COBOL.

There's a difference between the quality and usability of a site
developed by a person who first understands the standards and one
developed by a person who does not.

I don't mean to imply that you're in the second group. But a lot of
web developers do not know what the heck they're doing and churn out
incredibly bad code (missing end tags, etc) and never check in NN to
see what they broke, because "NN should die a horrible death."

When I develop, first I develop to standards. And then I enhance.
That's a key difference between me and Microsoft. Microsoft first
develops _almost_ to standards, and then 'enhances' ;) - and they use
the same argument you use up here.

(Ok, so I got a snide shot about MS in, it's tongue-in-cheek, meant
in all good fun, ok all you evolting people? :) )

That's the sort of thing some of the people who disagree with me in
this discussion are also saying - don't stop doing the cool stuff
because not everyone can use it; make your site as cool as possible.
But when it comes to core functionality, don't risk problems by not
going to standards. That's all I'm saying here. By all means, do
great and innovative work. But the core of the site should work in as
many browsers as possible.

My 0.02 cents
Jake
--