[thelist] Networking: Localhost AND the net?

Frank framar at interlog.com
Fri Dec 8 01:15:34 CST 2000

Hell may consist of concentric rings, but networking is the shortcut
that hurls us down into the blackest darkness at face-flattening
speeds.

Here's the deal:

Three machines: 2 Macs, 1 PC. Mac1 is the gateway, using IPNet
Softrouter (sustworks.com)

Mac1 <-> Mac2: Happy
Mac1 -> Net: Happy
Mac2 -> Net: Happy

PC -> LocalHost: Happy
PC -> Net: Speaks to hub, cable modem flashes (reads and writes) in
rhythm with the hub.

A long pause and thus speaks the demon: This page cannot be displayed.

For now I'll be happy to get a net connection on the PC. Later I want
to network the PC to my Macs so that I can work on my mac, hit
refresh and see my PC crank out my CF pages. (Dave can't find the
'Master Browser' [?])

My current step is to figure out how to get my CF pages to be read
locally (from the MS personal server), but the browser still be able
to touch the net.

Suggestions? Exorcisms?
--

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com