[thelist] Opera browser- now with a (free) new version

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Fri Dec 8 08:29:43 CST 2000

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

And as for the KAK worm...

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org
To:   thelist at lists.evolt.org
cc:

Subject:  RE: [thelist] Opera browser- now with a (free) new version

Scripts _within_ an email client should not be able to affect
anything outside of the email client - that means no writing files,
no changing system config. Hell, I don't really even want it changing
my email settings. The only real use of scripting in an email is if
you're using HTML email and want mouseovers.

I know Outlook allows remote installs by sending an email if it's
configured that way. That's sorta scary. Maybe it's cool. But why are
we relying on a messaging/scheduling client to do our IT work for us?

I've said this before, but I think that the email script sandbox
needs to be much tighter on the default config.

And in Eudora you have to _open_ the attachment to get the virus :)
Oh wait, even that most likely won't happen, since I use a Mac and
script kiddies and virus writers prefer to infect the vastly greater
sea of PCs :) (Note: I know there are Mac viruses. I've even
encountered a few, but none in the past 3 years.)

You can't blame the user for _all_ the security flaws of Outlook.
Just some (when your IT guy says "Don't open any attachment that ends
with .vbs, you listen to him!). But if the preview pane
auto-activates it for you, and the preview pane is a default setup,
how is the new user supposed to know they should have been doing
something different?

Jake

--
icongarden.com
Making good ideas grow || http://icongarden.com/

The principal place of business of PricewaterhouseCoopers and its associate
partnerships is 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6NN where lists of the
partners' names are available for inspection. All partners in the associate
partnerships are authorised to conduct business as agents of, and all
contracts for services to clients are with, PricewaterhouseCoopers. The UK
firm of PricewaterhouseCoopers is authorised by the Institute of Chartered
Accountants in England and Wales to carry on investment business.
PricewaterhouseCoopers is a member of the world-wide
PricewaterhouseCoopers organisation.
it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.  Any
intended recipient is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please