[thelist] CSS & W3C: Hmmm...

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Fri Dec 8 10:09:28 CST 2000

Frank,

> 	It validated just fine for me. Are you sure you didn't mistake the
comments
> for errors? BTW, what errors did you find on your own style

	My apologies. I realize that I didn't change the default "No
Warnings" option before running the validator. Kind of an odd default, if
you ask me.
	Anyway, the warning about specifying a color without specifying a
background-color has been a topic of discussion before: there is nothing in
the CSS spec that prohibits specifying one without the other. The best
explanation I've heard is that it is considered good practice to specify
both at the same time in case a user style sheet applies a background-color
that makes the color difficult to read. Good to be aware of, but it seems to
me it should be listed as a comment or suggestion instead of a warning in
jigsaw.

James Aylard