[thelist] philosophising (designers and propeller-heads)

A. Erickson amanda at gawow.com
Fri Dec 8 11:07:55 CST 2000

I think that there needs to be delineations between coder and designer.
However, there needs to be crossover knowledge there. The coder should do
his/her damndest to try and learn some principles of useability and
interface design and the designer should know how to build, at least in a
rudimentary fashion, a site and be versed in technology.

Companies seem to fall heavily on one side or the other. Either the
designers* are also doing the coding (or the coders* are doing the
designing) or you seem to have a complete separation where the designers
know shit-all about coding (and may come from a print world which I won't
get into right now) or the coders just end up as head-down monkeys who
produce a site and may have nothing invested in it.

In the end, it needs to be a collaborative process but you should also let
people do what they do best and what they have a passion for. In the ideal
world....

- amanda