[thelist] Networking: Localhost AND the net?

Frank framar at interlog.com
Fri Dec 8 13:07:25 CST 2000

>  PC -> LocalHost: Happy

>  PC -> Net: Speaks to hub, cable modem flashes (reads and
>  writes) in rhythm with the hub.

>  When you say PC -> LocalHost: Happy, do you mean
>  "localhost" as in I can ping myself (127.0.0.1) or do
>  you mean your "local network", e.g. I can ping the other
>  two mac's.

I meant that I could use the view 'View in external browser list'
pull down in Studio to run my apps (127.0.0.1).

>  Also, do you have the sub net configured correctly, e.g.
>  what are you IPs and sub net for your three machines.

I know what the IP's are, but I have no idea what subnets are all about.

>  Lastly, is the MAC or the cable modem the gateway listed
>  in the PC's network settings.

Uhmm.. I've set the gateway IP to that of my 'server' mac (the one
that is running the router). Other than that it doesn't appear under
'Entire Network' (if that's the question being asked)

--

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com