[thelist] Must a webmaster know databases???

Joshua OIson joshua at alphashop.net
Wed Dec 13 11:02:09 CST 2000

As you pointed out, there is a difference between a webmaster and a web
developer, though it seems that the line is getting blurred more and more.
I'm not even sure I know the difference anymore.  It used to be that a
webmaster maintained static webpages produced by the organization as a
living and breathing document, possibly even outsourcing to a web developer
for creation of complex applications such as eCommerce.  But, with the
increased availability of tools, namely small db's (Access, et al) and
relatively inexpensive scripting languages (ASP, Cold Fusion, et al), and
simplicity of db integration (DNS) it seems that many web masters have found
a way to cut costs by developing small applications themselves.  It would
seem reasonable that a webmaster, who may be an accountant filling the role,
might bite off a little more than a part-time extra duty and chew.

If the line for webmaster to web developer is drawn by the time commitment
to the task, then a web developer, being as it may now be a full time job,
should have their fingers dirty with every technology.  Whereas a webmaster,
being a part time extra duty, shouldn't have to.

But I agree with Seth and Ron on one large point, a web developer who knows
the business is a huge asset and is a position to ask for almost anything
they need or want so long as they consistently showing some sort of benefit
for their work.  To the original point, you are even a larger asset if you
know the db side because that knowledge can help you mix together the
hodgepodge of data pools throughout a company into one sleek interface.

-joshua