[thelist] Why target="_blank" is evil

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Thu Dec 14 09:14:22 CST 2000

 >My opinion on this matter is just experience based and I don't have any
 >hard facts to present to my boss. What do you think? Has anybody done
 >useability testing on that matter?

Welp, there are a couple of things you could try:

   a) Include a javascript checkbox to "open links in new window"
      and have it unchecked by default. I've seen this on a number
      of various sites, and it works well. Best of both worlds, but
      arguments will arise about checked/unchecked by default.

   b) Have all target="_blanks" be controlled by a js that would
      open the window at half the current screen size. That way
      if people do have full screen enabled, they can tell that
      a new window has opened.

   c) Set up a usability testing with five of us from the list
      that agree with your position. Assign one of us to say
      that he likes the _blanks - the other people will say
      _blanks suck.

   d) Popup a frame set instead of a new window. The new site
      will load in the bottom frame, the top frame will include
      "remove frame", "back to company xyz" and so forth.
      Frames are evil though, so this may be worse.

Morbus Iff
.sig on other machine.
http://www.disobey.com/
http://www.gamegrene.com/