[thelist] IE 5 Mac Margins

Erika Meyer meyer at up.edu
Fri Dec 15 13:46:55 CST 2000

>Actually I'm not using style sheets, I'd really like to but... (Now this
>ought to get me in trouble)

yes, it ought to.

>  After doing testing I decided I can't use CSS
>because of NN4's pathetic support for it.

browser detect.  Or just add the one thing that's screwing you up in IE5
Mac which is your use of deprecated body attributes instead of a CSS body
declaration.

>NN4 is going to be
>a major thorn in my side as a developer/designer.  Especially when it comes
>to the huge potential of CSS.

if you are a designer, consider designing sites that you can live with when
the CSS is turned off.  Then turn of CSS for browsers that don't support it
well.  Use a transitional DTD.

> > If margins are a big deal, I'd check the sites in question on more than one
> > Mac, just to see if there's a display variance.
>
>I have done so and on two Macs (one graphite one B&W OS 9.0.4) with IE5 it
>has the same problem.

yeah, that's because you didn't declare your body margins in CSS.  You have
to do that to make it work in IE5 Mac.

>IE5 Mac obviously supports LEFTMARGIN="0" TOPMARGIN="0" but just
>erratically, and I really hate those erratic errors.

I agree here.  Add the margin declarations to your CSS and you will be
singing "oh happy day!"

Isn't it great to have a browser that supports standards?  You don't have
to resort to hacks, you just do things the way the W3C recommends.

If all browsers would only be so wonderful....

Erika

(hmm.  2 chilis in Eudora.  oh, what the hell.)