[thelist] IE 5 Mac Margins

Kyle Smeby kyle at a-s-i.com
Sun Dec 17 19:17:38 CST 2000

> Did you try: <body ...blah blah... style="margin: 0px;"> ? That seems to
> me a longer term, less hackish, less potentially troublesome solution than
> fake script tags. I mean, IE5.5 could ignore the <script> tags as a bug.
>
> Also - you might consider adding a DOCTYPE to the document, IE5
> has some peculiarities with certain document types.
>
> - Joe

Actually, I had a script on that page that should have been in the Header
anyway.

But again with the CSS.  Like I said earlier I would love nothing more than
to use CSS, but for right now letting my sites degrade (nicely or badly)
into NN4, to me, just isn't an option.  So why not just write it once in
HTML so I know it will work in both browsers (minus pre-exsisting bugs and
non-standards compliance) instead of doing it first in CSS for modern
compliant browsers then reworking my code to get things to work respectably
in the rest of the browsers.

I will say again I yearn, wait, bleed, and urinate all over myself waiting
for the day I can reliably use CSS to at least a decent fraction of its full
potential, but for now I just don't think they justify the time spent with
them when added to all the other work-arounds (perhaps with the exception of
text).

As for this method being "hackish" you're very right it is hackish, but any
site where the client is paying for all the bells and whistles they can get,
is so full of hacks and unnecessary garbage just to get as many browsers
involved as possible, that I don't even bat an eye at stuff like this
anymore.  Sadly, I think my job becomes more and more about "hacks" and less
about design with every new browser for all of the platforms.  Although with
NS6 and Opera things may be looking up.

I apologize for my ranting and thank everyone for their responses. I guess I
owe a tip to any of those still reading this.

<tip>
If you're on a Mac, pry your help key off your keyboard to avoid launching
annoying help applications when you just slipped trying to hit the delete
key.

And for those of you using CSS (among other things) and are frustrated with
the NN4 resize bug here is a handy script to help remedy that.

<!--
   NS4 = document.layers;
   if (NS4) {
      origWidth = innerWidth;
      origHeight = innerHeight;
   }

function reDo() {
   if (innerWidth != origWidth || innerHeight != origHeight)
      location.reload();
}

if (NS4) onresize = reDo;
//-->