[thelist] ColdFusion development

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Dec 18 07:01:58 CST 2000

Hi all.

I've been a member of Evolt for a while, and I notice that there are a lot
of ColdFusion developers on the list.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys can help me out. I'm looking for some
kind of data about the use of ColdFusion in high-end web development
projects in USA. By high-end, I'm talking about $100,000+ type of projects.
Is CF now accepted as a "proper" enterprise level web development platform?

If my questions sound a little offensive, please... I really don't know
much about CF and its popularity in America. Here in India, computer
training institutes / universities have largely concentrated on
Microsoft/Java platforms and CF has a very small following. Since my
company provides software services to clients around the world (especially
USA), I suggested that we should also build our CF development skills, and
my boss asked me to gather some data on it. Hence this mail.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide. I'll even throw in a tip :)

<tip type="good design" author="Madhu Menon">

When you try and highlight everything on a page (web or print), you
effectively end up highlighting nothing. Pick one or two things to
highlight, and let them stand out. Otherwise, there will be informational
and visual chaos. Far too many portals get caught in organisational
politics, where each section head wants his/her content highlighted on the
main page (see MSN). The result is usually too many bold headings, too many
shaded boxes, and too many colours. Pick any well-known portal and see if
anything jumps out at you. Chances are that you'll drown in masses of text,
boxes, and pictures.

McDonald's advertises its burgers, sells its fries along with them, and
makes money on the cokes. But do you catch them ever advertising their
fries or coke? :)

</tip>

Regards,

Madhu