[thelist] Layer over form objects?

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Dec 18 14:10:24 CST 2000

Leo,

> Is it possible to send a form object behind a layer?  I thought I saw a
> message on this recently, but I can't seem to find it.  (I have tried
> z-index to no avail...)

	This depends on the browser make and model:

IE 4+
   * Only the <select> element cannot be z-indexed. You have to use trickery
to make it disappear behind another element (such as a positioned div):
namely, change its visibility property to "hidden", or its display property
to "none" when a positioned div obscures it.

Netscape 4.x
   * Most form elements do not reliably z-index. For safety's sake, pretend
that none of them do and place your form within its own positioned <layer>
or (preferably) <div>, and hide that entire "layer" as required.

Netscape 6.x
   * All form elements z-index.

hth,
James Aylard