[thelist] Common Fonts

rudy Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Mon Dec 18 16:17:02 CST 2000

> For the love of God and all that is readable, please do not
> use Arial if you wish your site to be usable on Macs. (I've
> said this before but I bring it up again because it bears
> repeating). Any Mac that has Arial installed also has Verdana,
> so you can safely use Verdana instead.

hi jake

here's a page that goes into this problem in quite some detail --

   Improving Appearance of Arial Font on the Macintosh
    (Solutions for both Mac Users and Web Developers)
   http://users.hit.net/~bobbau/platforms/MacArialFonts/

the solutions for web developers
(http://users.hit.net/~bobbau/platforms/MacArialFonts/#WebAuthors)
suggests that

    The best choice is therefore:
             <FONT FACE="Geneva,Arial,Helvetica">
    This way, the Mac users see Geneva, Windows users see
    Arial, and UNIX users see Helvetica.

    As still another option, if you actually prefer the
    appearance of "Verdana" (another sans-serif font), you
    might specify:
            <FONT FACE="Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica">
    This way, Verdana is used if present (on either Windows
    or Mac). If not, then Geneva is used on the Mac, Arial
    on Windows, and Helvetica on UNIX.

rudy.ca