[thelist] Common Fonts

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Tue Dec 19 15:11:35 CST 2000

Eric,

Be sure to read the suggestions others have made regarding this. A
good alternative if you really want Arial as your Windows font is to
use a Mac-only font first in your choices - for example, font-family:
Geneva, Arial, Helvetica;

Geneva is a pretty good looking Mac font and will do just fine for an
Arial replacement on the Mac, Arial will show up on Windows, and for
those hapless (I'm JOKING :) :) :) ) UNIX users, Helvetica should
take up the cause.

Good luck,
Jake

>Jake,
>
>Thanks.  This was exactly the type of info I was looking for. Actually, I
>was interested in the font names, but this little nugget of info is
>obviously worth its weight in gold.  Mental-sticky note has now been pasted
>inside my brain.
>
>Eric
>
>For the love of God and all that is readable, please do not use Arial
>if you wish your site to be usable on Macs. (I've said this before
>but I bring it up again because it bears repeating). Any Mac that has
>Arial installed also has Verdana, so you can safely use Verdana
>instead.
>
>Why not use Arial? It's too thin and tall and on the Mac at lower
>sizes Arial emboldened does not look any different from Arial
>regular. So those nice bold headlines you come up with? They look the
>same as everything else in Arial.
>
>So use Verdana, Helvetica, san-serif as your choices if you want to
>be xplatform.
>
>Thanks! This has been a public service message brought to you by me!
>
>Jake
>>
>>These days, you can usually get away with Arial, Times, Courier, and
>>Helvetica. Quite often people have Verdana as well, as it's a free
>>one usually installed with just about any MS product (including
>>browsers).
>>
>>I have no idea about Linux, but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.
>
>--

Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others
belong to us as well. -Voltaire, philosopher, historian, satirist,
dramatist, and essayist (1694-1778)
   icongarden.com || littleblueeasy.com :: emailme at icongarden.com