[thelist] Common Fonts

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Wed Dec 20 07:15:09 CST 2000

Thanks, I had known that, actually. And Arial doesn't look half-bad
on Windows. However, Microsoft's type designers took a few days off
when it came to developing Arial for the Mac. I have no idea why.

I like to use Georgia onscreen as a Times alternative, nice and open
and readable on both Macintosh and Windows. I used to use Palatino,
but that's always been an odd creature of a font. I like it in print,
but not as much onscreen.

Does anyone know a good common UNIX font that we can specify in place
of Helvetica and Georgia? my san-serif type specs usually run:
(Geneva), Verdana, Helvetica, san-serif... (I have Geneva in parens
only to show that I don't always use that one, not in parens in the
code). My serif specs usually run: Georgia, Palatino, Times New
Roman, serif

This has been an interesting thread. We've not only gotten into what
looks good and not, but to some degree why.

Jake

--
<icongarden at icongarden.com>

Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others
belong to us as well. -Voltaire, philosopher, historian, satirist,
dramatist, and essayist (1694-1778)