[thelist] CSS, H1 and Netscape

Patricia Meeks pmeeks at email.msn.com
Wed Dec 27 00:44:11 CST 2000

I use <h#> headings to maintain the structure of a site for non-CSS browsers
and for visitors who use NN4 with JavaScript disabled (which disables CSS)
per their corporate policy (about 20% of my visitors). There is no right or
wrong answer about using or not using <h#>.  It depends on your site and how
it is laid out, etc. If you want to serve visitors without CSS capability,
simply view your site with CSS disabled and if it still looks fine, then you
have "your" answer. If you want your headings to look like headings (bolder,
larger, etc.) for non-CSS visitors, then you'll want to work with <h#> tags
the best way you can. While my sites don't look great without a CSS browser,
the pages still have defined headings and subheadings that hold the
information together for easy reading and organization.

> Actually for the site I'm working on right now I simply didn't use any
<h#>
> tags at all. I've had problems with them and css before with NN. So the
> solution I'm using right now is to define headings and such using
.classes.
> It seems to be working well but if its not a good idea I would love to
hear
> why. #B^)

Regards, Patricia Meeks
pmeeks at msn.com