[thelist] The Tyranny of Standards

Jacob Stetser lists at icongarden.com
Wed Dec 27 07:28:43 CST 2000

I agree with Martin and the comments on oreilly.com, and I want to
add this. Companies who try to innovate before adding standards are
like builders who try to build a fantastic house without finishing
the foundation first.

Innovation is fine and dandy, and I want browser makers to innovate
as much as they can. But it is not difficult to be as compliant as
possible with standards! Microsoft has proven that with IE5/Mac,
which, while not perfect, is damn close in its compliance. Yet they
don't/can't/won't do the same with IE5+/PC. Why?

I'd love to be able to code HTML4 + CSS1 with no browser issues at
all, so that I could spend more time on the more advanced features
that make use of said innovation.

Jake

>An interesting take on standards vs innovation.
>
>  http://www.oreilly.com/news/tyranny_1200.html
>
>the head lemur-alan herrell
>http://www.lemurzone.com
>Member Evolt.org
>http://www.evolt.org
>Member Web Standards Project
>http://www.webstandards.org

<icongarden at icongarden.com>

Appreciation is a wonderful thing; it makes what is excellent in others
belong to us as well. -Voltaire, philosopher, historian, satirist,
dramatist, and essayist (1694-1778)