[thelist] CSS, H1 and Netscape

J.J.SOLARI jjsolari at pobox.com
Wed Dec 27 10:15:58 CST 2000

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000 19:34:02 -0900, <tbounds at gci.net> wrote:

>> instead of ditching the <h#> tags altogether, and thereby purging
>> useful structural markup from your document, sometimes it's better
>> to accept the differences in rendering and allow your design to flow
>> with it, regardless of the browser...
>
>Actually for the site I'm working on right now I simply didn't use any
<h#>
>tags at all. I've had problems with them and css before with NN. So the
>solution I'm using right now is to define headings and such using
.classes.
>It seems to be working well but if its not a good idea I would love to
hear
>why. #B^) Thanks for the help.

Tony,

There are several good reasons to remain with <hx>.

Besides accessability to blind readers and consistent layout for css
disabled browsers mentioned by other listees, an important one might be
the way some searchengines treat headings.

To them, headings are supposed to convey concise informations about the
page content. As such, they should not be underestimated nor overlooked
at least regarding site ranking.

hih,

JJS.
--