[thelist] Collecting secure customer data

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Dec 28 13:58:41 CST 2000

Warden, Matt wrote:

>> Here's a creative question.  Using a Unix server running Apache, is there
>> any way I can collect sensitive customer information without using SSL.  Oh
>> and I don't have Telnet access either (I know, it's a free service!).
>>
>> I can use any other common technology (e.g. Java etc.).  I'm thinking
>> perhaps using a form script that encrypts the data and stores it in a
>> protected file (?) on the server awaiting download??
>>
>> Any creative solutions?
>

> Well, what do you mean by "secured"? If you are talking about "transmitting"
> the data from client to server, you really only have SSL to deal with. If

+1

If you're not worried about the transmission being secure, just the
storage of the data, you can pass the info to a perl script that can
write it to a directory on the server and then run another script to run
an encryption algorithm on the file. Of course, I'm simplifying a bit
here, but we'd probably need more info to help :)

.djc.