[thelist] What would you do?

Seb Barre sebastien at oven.com
Fri Jan 5 15:08:11 CST 2001

At 11:33 AM 1/5/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>At 01:27 PM 1/5/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>
>>Prepare a document.  Write up a technical (but approachable) document
>>outlining all of
>
>Seb....
>
>I completely disagree that this choice is an option. The downside is a
>factor of 100 greater than the upside. No matter how objective you make
>the document, you have no control as to how the client is going to react.
>There are ego's involved here, and they will be damaged by any unasked for
>"outsider report". Heck, if he was asked (with $$) to write a report on
>the shortcomings of the site - I'd recommend that he not take the work.
>
>Remember there are most probably PHB's in the decision making process and
>they are immune to logic and are creatures of emotion. Best to stay away,
>but keep the channels open - if you want them back. The caveat is that the
>PHB's that made the change decision may be managing the next project he is
>contacted for and that may not be a good thing either.

I based my suggestions on the fact that Matthew seemed eager to find a way
to get his client back.  This is a good way.  If the client reacts badly,
then that's too bad, but I still believe this is a feasible and often
effective approach.   The client may not be tech savvy, but if they've been
running a business for that long and they buy TV commercials (which leads
me to think they're somewhat profitable and large), then they're not
stupid, and they should see the logic in the facts contained in that kind
of document.  At the very worst it will make them that much smarter about
the topic and they will hold their new contractor more accountable and be
more difficult to bullshit.

If they've had a good relation with that client for 4 years now, odds are
good the client does have some trust in them, and this kind of objective
report at least gives them a chance to prove that the client made a
mistake, or needs to work some problems out with the new shop.  Everyone
makes mistakes, but you can only acknowledge and correct a mistake if you
know you made it, and if someone with more knowledge and experience that
you is nice enough to point them out, that's not a bad thing in my mind.

If he sits there and does nothing, then his chances are zero, and he risks
being further badmouthed by the new shop as they screw it up more and more,
while the client sits there and agrees because they don't know any better.