[thelist] RE: PHP 'proof of concept' virus developed

Erika Meyer meyer at up.edu
Tue Jan 9 15:47:26 CST 2001

At 02:34 PM 1/9/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Obviously written by a) a representative of PHP,

yeah, those dang PHP representatives.

>2) a technical author who
>knows buzzwords and what the interviewee tells them, and nothing more

probably.

>iii) a complete idiot.  Most likely b)

agreed.

***

I'm curious as to what the meaning of all this is.  Is this virus somehow
different than a virus created in another scripting language?  I don't
really understand why it's called a "hypertext" virus, or what a "hypertext
preprocessor" is for that matter.

It's of interest to me, because I am wanting to learn more about PHP... but
I want to make sure this kind of thing doesn't start to scare users away
from PHP enabled sites.  You know how people were (and some still are)
freaky about JavaScript (I still can't figure out why people were afraid of
JavaScript...)

Erika