[thelist] New to evolt?

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Wed Jan 10 16:25:27 CST 2001

We've had a bunch of new people subscribe to thelist in the past couple
days, and whenever we get an influx of members, I like to take some time
to send out an email like this :)

First off, if you're new to evolt and/or thelist, welcome! Take your
time to get accustomed to the atmosphere, and feel free to post a
comment whenever you're ready. Before you hit that send button, make
sure you read thelist guidelines at

You've probably meandered this way because you heard or read that the
evolt mailing list(thelist) is a super smurfy, high quality, high
signal/low noise list. Please do your part to keep it this way by
reading and following the guidelines in the URL above. :)
Whether that means checking the archive ( http://lists.evolt.org/archive
) for a previously discussed topic or cutting that 25 line sig file from
your outgoing emails, your new evolt comrades will appreciate it.

Some things you should be instantly aware of include:

If you post *anything* in your email other than plain text, it will get
caught by my patented 'Black Hole' software where it will sit in eternal
pergatory as it waits for my approval - which happens about as often as
a Jesse Jackson commencment speach at Bob Jones University - while it
watches other more fortunate postings to thelist stroll through the
pearly gates of thelist heaven. All the while leaving you, the poster,
to ponder why no one has responded to your
question/quip/quamment/qwhatever. In other words, don't send
attachments, HTML or RTF formatted email, vcards, so on and so forth. :)

If you post an off-topic email to thelist, you owe a <tip>. Of course,
you've already read http://lists.evolt.org/listinfo.html and know all
about tips!

I'm Dan, the guy who pretty much runs this list. I have the uncanny
ability to turn any short and concise email into a rather long, tangent
filled, spelling mistake ridden post, similar to this one! If you have
any questions or problems with your new evolt account, feel free to
contact me off list and we'll work out the problems.

Do post messages with a descriptive subject(e.g. table layouts in
netscape 6; NOT: help!!!!!). Do not post messages with something like:

"I need someone to fix my javascript/table/css/whatever problem at
http://lazydeveloper.com/me thanks."

I mean, you can try posting something like that, but you probably won't
hear much back. evolt members help those who help themselves; to quote
Beericous 4.12: "Show a man how to tap a keg, and he'll drink for a
night. *Teach* a man how to tap a keg and he'll drink for the rest of
his life." Wiser words were never spoken, and the same principles hold
true here on thelist. We're all about sharing, and we invite you to
share as well. :)

I think thats pretty much everything.. Feel free to introduce yourself
and jump in with questions or answers whenever you're comfortable! Most
importantly have some fun and learn a thing or two :)

.djc.