[thelist] Web work in London?

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Jan 11 04:24:28 CST 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Amanda

The 36k I was getting was UKP (ie around $55k), and that's at the
low end of contracting. My last contracting gig was *way* better
paid than that, but was 60 hours a week, dealing with some of the
least clued induhviduals in Christendom. You may remember my off-thelist
rant about them around when I left at the end of August.

I'm not that well paid now, but
* yes, it is a (nicely comfortable) living wage
* yes, it's a secure permanent job with a non-startup
* yes, my boss keeps giving me bottles of champagne. Good ones too...

Also, bear in mind that many agencies are really clueless - they only
do keyword searching, and you get phone calls offering alleged jobs
which aren't your skillset. And because they're indiscriminate, they're
putting maybe 50/60 people forward for each role, so you're not as
much of an exclusive property as you'd think.

This is somewhat annoying when you're not actually looking for a move -
telling agencies to "call back in 4 months when I'm coming to the end of
this contract" often doesn't work.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org