[thelist] Filling up timesheets - good or bad?

Ruth Arnold ruth at spacehoppa.com
Thu Jan 11 09:13:29 CST 2001

Being self-employed, I find timesheets invaluable. It enables you to invoice
correctly and is a good audit trail for working out how long jobs actually
took to do, rather than how long you thought they took.

I can understand employees taking offence at the notion of monitoring what
happened and when, but I wouldn't be without mine. I've tried to set up an
electronic version on my PC from time to time, but have always found that
nothing quite beats a pen and paper sat between the monitor and keyboard for
making sure that you keep up-to-date with this dreary task.

It's also helpful when establishing your hourly rate as it brings home just
how many of your working hours aren't actually billable.

ruth arnold
spacehoppa.com