[thelist] To ALT or not to ALT?

A. Erickson ilsa at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 11 16:50:31 CST 2001

> Eric
>
> Screenreaders will render all your spacers as (spoken out loud)
>
> "Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image,
> Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image,
> Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image, Image..."
>
> Try reading out the above.
>
> It gets quite annoying quite quickly.

Oh, I don't know, Martin. It has a sort of hypnotic, boozy sort of feeling
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Oh, but hey -- I always wonder whether to alt with the space alt=" " or
without alt="".

Does it make a difference.

Oh, and just to add another answer to the question. The reason why you
should leave an alt tag blank for spacer things is because if the image
doesn't show up -- no one needs to know. For a photo, if it doesn't show up,
it's nice to have "Fuzzy black cat plays with string" instead of nothing or
something unrelated. If a spacer doesn't show up then this            is
quite peaceful.

Zen and the art of coding?

- amanda